Chris Boardman is a British former racing cyclist who won an individual pursuit gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics, broke the world hour record three times, and won three stages and wore the yellow jersey on three separate occasions at the Tour de France.
Now a British Cycling policy advisor, Chris takes us on a tour of Utrecht, host of this year’s Tour de France Grand Depart, and shows us just why it is considered the worlds best cycle city.
Some cycling facts & figures about Utrecht
- 11,000 cyclists between Leidsche Rijn and the city centre every day
- 25,000 cyclists through the city centr every day
- 60% goes to the city centre by bicycle
- 50% of children travel to school every day by bicycle
- 43% of all journeys shorter than 7.5km is made by bicycle
- Utrecht is working on five comfortable, quick and safe main bicycle routes
- 13 staffed and monitored bicycle parkings
- Bicycle parking places near Utrecht Central Station: 12,000 today; 33,000by 2020
- Utrecht is building the largest bicycle parking in the world (12,500 bicycles)